Cats are a member of the Felidea family. The feline family divided into many mammals 40 million years ago, making them one of the oldest mammals. All cats, domestic or wild cats, share traits that only they have.
1. Cats are carnivores and need at least 30% protein in the daily diet, and cannot live with only vegetables or grains.
2. Cats have very strong jaws, pointed teeth and claws that can shrink when not in use. Their eyes may not need to be discussed much – designed to help cats hunt in the dark.
3. Don’t be alarmed if your cat brings back “surprise” gifts like birds, mice or other rodents. This is a natural way a cat wants to please you.
4. Cats will purr when they are happy and when they are stressed!
5. Cat fur consists of 2 layers, one undercoat and thicker outer coat.
6. Contrary to the guesswork of many people, cats are very “social” animals. They will respond and answer most words, and enjoy good human relationships.
7. If free, a female cat can give birth to 3 to 7 kittens every 4 months. This is exactly why it is common to castrate male cats.
8. A kitten is born, two eyes will close and two ears will be closed. When they open their eyes for the first time, the eyes will be green. They will change eye color several times over a few months until the final eye color.
9. With good care, cats can live 20 years or more.
10. In the United States, cats have taken down dogs to become the most popular pet.
11. Cats, and dogs, are color blind, but cats can see blue, red, and green.
12. Did you know that people with a cat allergy are not actually allergic to cat hair? In fact, they are allergic to cat saliva.
13. Most of the medicines used to treat humans are toxic to cats, especially aspirin.
14. Cat saliva has an enzyme that helps clean hair!
15. If a cat is “difficult to get along” in the first 2 months of its birth, it can hardly be a good pet.
16. When you see a cat scratching something, it may not be just for the purpose of “sharpening” but showing that the cat is happy!
17. If you have heard of “Cat Tower”, you should buy it now, because this is a great exercise and also an ideal resting place for them!
18. A cat’s heart beats 140 times a minute, twice the heart rate of a human!
19. A cat may have 5 toes per fore, this is normal, but only 4 toes per hind toe.
20. An adult cat has 290 bones (excluding the bones of other species in its stomach).
21. Cats almost never “meows” in front of another cat. This sound is only for people!
22. A cat’s normal body temperature is 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit, “a little warmer” than a person.
23. The more you talk to your cat, the more she will “complain” to you!